Okay, you guys, so here's the deal! I went to my 5 year high school reunion at the North Carolina School of Science and Math. We are the Unicorns! Go Unis! Anyway, I just want to share what I learned, remembered, and enjoyed. So take a trip with me and relive a beautiful weekend. Here we gooooo!
I learned that the people that I was closest to when I was there really can pick up where we left off, even though it was 5 years ago.
It dawned on me that I belonged at Science and Math. I fit there. Seeing the alums from the classes of 1985, 1990, 1995, and 2000, in different stages of their life and different ages, I realized that we all shared some commonality. Some way of viewing the world and people. It was kind of like seeing what many of our class of 2005 might be like in the future. (I said kind of... lol).
I remembered how my mom made me feel beautiful. Random yeah, but I saw pics of people at our senior prom (it was in a museum). And many of the girls looked beautiful and their dresses were amazing, but at the time you could not have made me believe that I wasn't the best looking thing out there! lol Thanks for that, Mom! Thanks for pouring confidence into me.
I remembered how ignorant I was when I thought I knew everything... how unloving I was at times, when I thought I was the epitome of the love of Christ (ha!).
I was reminded of the Christian community that was so dear to my heart (and so vital). That was wear I really started to grow and develop eyes to see that there was more to be had.
I was also reminded of the spiritual bondage that I found myself in my senior year there. And it was such a victorious experience to be there and be FREE! Thank God for Jesus!
I rejoiced in the legacy that I and fellow believers endeavored to leave there! I saw a sign for a prayer circle meeting, and it reminded me of our prayer at the globe (a metal sculpture of a globe on our campus)! (During that time, going to prayer was so optional for me... thank God for growth).
I prayed with the young lady that stays in my old room! It was so awesome to see God just move from "generation" to "generation" at that school.
I reminisced and realized that things weren't as hard as they seemed then. Wow! Makes me want to keep my mouth shut and enjoy every season because life doesn't exactly get easier... But that's not a bad thing.
I realized how much weight I've lost. Not necessarily good or bad. I was just much bigger than I realized.
I bought a super awesome t-shirt!
...And even though, I miss the people and some of the experiences, I don't miss that part of my life. I made a lot of mistakes and missed out on some opportunities, but I think I did the best I could do with the person that I was then. I think I made the most of my life with the measure of wisdom that I held. And God used everything during my Science and Math experience to bring to this point today. And I will always look back and feel a sense of home at NCSSM.
Go Unis!
No comments:
Post a Comment