Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Little Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving, you guys! I'm writing this post for Wednesday though. I've just got the pies in the oven and have had absolutely no time to sit down to rest really at all today. Now I want to give you a little bit of an overview of my day.

This morning, my youngest brothers and my sister and I went to a local food kitchen that serves breakfast and a special holiday lunch on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays before Thanksgiving. Today we ended up wrapping forks in napkins and passing out popcorn. I just really enjoyed being there, serving, and being with my siblings. Good times.

Once I got back home, I immediately jumped on the stick with my pies! I started on my crust from scratch! Let me tell you that it has been hours -- HOURS -- of work. I worked for over 3 hours on the pie shells - mixing the 4 shells and rolling one out. Then I cleaned up a bit, cut up some chicken for dinner (that never managed to be cooked), and took off to Grandma's to learn about some Thanksgiving cooking! I got to stick my hand into the turkey! And when I picked it up to turn it over, it felt soooo real.  Strange sounding... sure, but it was creepy. I almost felt like I was holding a baby. The arms kept bending and flopping and whatnot. I can't wait to do the turkey next year (or Christmas, even though I can only take 1 turkey a year)! Get ready for the seasonings! I love using spices and seasoning meats! I did the sweet potatoes. Another surprisingly easy dish.

Anyway, this is the epiphany that I had today. I was steady listening to my jazz/easy listening Christmas mix (love that!), and I felt something was a bit off about it all. You know, it's the day before Thanksgiving, so why am I loading up on the Christmas music? Isn't there anything more appropriate? I considered it for awhile and came to a conclusion: The cooking and preparation days that come before Thanksgiving should be filled with songs of thanks and praise (with a little Christmas music sprinkled in here and there)! I think I just turned the Thanksgiving holiday into a Perpetual Praise Party! What better music to use to celebrate this holiday! When I have my family, we're having a praise party (and I mean praise party) right after Thanksgiving dinner and just before dessert! Make room for your blessing and make room for your dessert! And we are going to dance around and break a sweat and have a blast before the Lord! (Let's make that a tradition soon! Who wants to join me????)

So I finally finished the pies at 4:30 AM this morning. And now I'm finished with post. I didn't get to make my other pound cake, but I'll do it before I go back to MD.

I love you guys.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment