Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gav Gav the Friendship Wrangler

So I haven't blogged in awhile. It's been 2 weeks, I think. There have been a lot of things happening in my mind. I say mind because not everything that happens in my mind looks like what is going on in my life.
I've been making new friends and learning to wrangle friendships. That phrase just popped into my head, but I think it works. It's just that things are different when you aren't in school. You're no long surrounded by your best friends, and other people begin to take on more meaningful roles in your life. At the same time, because it's not as easy to maintain relationship with some people, because you no longer have instant contact with them whenever you want it, you have to be more intentional about communicating and sharing your life. This is still not everything though! Seasons change, and relationships change too. You must allow the friendship to take the course that it needs to take. Perhaps that means that you and a friend will not be as close as you once were because that level of closeness was only for a season or is now inappropriate or just extra and unnecessary and perhaps even unproductive. Then there are friends from the past that you want to reconnect with, be it by phone call or reunion. There are also all of the wonderful people around you who you don't share much history with (and perhaps not exactly the deepest relationship either), but you know that they are a blessing to you. You want to be a blessing to them, and just be in their presence from time to time. Like I said, friendship wrangling!

It definitely takes work to maintain these relationships and to decide those with whom you will share yourself. Let's be real: You can't be everybody's friend!! (Definitely learned that lesson.) Everybody cannot be your best friend.  Be conscious of and intentional about who you allow into your inner circle.

Through it all, I know there is a wonderful Friend Who loves me dearly. His very blood runs through me, giving me life, and His Name is Jesus. I've learned some lessons about friendship the hard way, and using His guidance, I just want to be a blessing to those that I am close to, requiring nothing of them that they cannot or should not give. Friendship with purpose. Living friendships (giving life both ways - not sucking the life out of either party). Pure relationships. Holiness in friendship (and now that I've mentioned holiness, I've got to step up my game).

Thank You, Jesus, for Your everlasting friendship.

And thank you, dear friends, for your friendship, communication, love, encouragement, support, and provision. I do love you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment