OMG, you guys, I've found myself in a particular type of situation several times in the past year, and the more it happens, the more it seems to be a challenging dilemma. Let me know what you think after you read.
This evening I went out to run a few errands for my mom. Now mind you, I was just taking a short break from my cleaning and organizing (Gotta get my life together!! I refuse to stay here any longer. That's a whole 'nother story...) to run to AT&T and Walgreens. So I jam to Fred Hammond (love!) on the way there, and then I go inside. It's a run in/run out trip so I barely let the brother who greeted me at the door ask if he could help me. (I wonder can you see where this is going...). So I tell him what I need and he helps me out and he's chatting me up the whole time. I was enjoying the pleasant banter. He was really nice and he cracked jokes on my old and busted phone. But I didn't think anything of it until...
He walked back up to me and said, "I'm trying to think of who your hair reminds me of. I've seen somebody rock that style... from back in the day." FYI: I'm rocking bantu knots with a little funky variation at the front.
Gavri: "Ohhh, from back in the day, huh?" *LOL*
Insert more fun banter here.
The guy: "I wish more black women would wear their hair natural." *The preparatory pause* "I mean I would ask for your number just because of your hair. It's just so beautiful." (I laugh.) He steps just a bit closer and lowers his voice, "So do you have a boyfriend?"
Gavri: "No." More laughs. (I'm a mess.)
AT&T Guy: "Well can I have your number?"
Here comes the dilemma.
Gavri: "Ummmm..." More laughs because at that point I really did not know how to respond. This is the thing. I want to be social and go out on dates and get to know people. PLUS I thought he was kinda cute. (Related sidenote: I think I've developed a bit of type, now that I think about it. I won't share though because then I might tell on myself. O_o)
So this is the situation that I've repeatedly found myself in over the past year. I'm approached by a (seemingly) nice young man, he asks for my phone number, and I don't know how to respond. Do I say yes or do I say no? What are the qualifying criterion? I pose this question because, in all of these situations, I don't know the guy well or at all. I mean, I can't just say yes because I think he's cute or just because he's been nice to me the few times we've interacted. Or can I? A few times, like this most recent occurrence, if I could have prepared myself for the proposition in some way -- and if I'd managed to maintain my composure -- I might've said yes.
Lord, can a sister get a heads up please? Then I can be prepared to consider the factors and give an appropriate response. I suppose the circumstances have an impact. I do know this: If any of these guys, one in particular, asked me again, I'd probably say yes.
Friends, tell me what you think! Oh yeah, I told the guy "maybe", and he said that he'd ask me again when I came back.
Don't forget to tell me what you think! (Pleeeeeease.)
No comments:
Post a Comment