Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Worship from the Psalms

Hi guys!

When I think about having my personal time of worship/prayer with the Lord, I generally plan to have music playing. I'll sing with the music or I'll ad lib and improvise to the music. I might just pray while the music is on for a bit, or sometimes I feel compelled to turn the music off. So I turn it off, and I just sing from my heart. Whatever comes to my mind, I sing to the Lord, and I must admit that I really enjoy that. It's just fresh, and I think the Lord enjoys hearing a new song that hasn't been played or sung millions of times. He wants to hear the songs that echo in our hearts. Anyway, that's how I've been developing in worship over the past few months.

So the other day, I ended up doing something a little different. I found some songs (e.g. God of Wonders by City on a Hill) that I really like to sing to the Lord on YouTube, and I was just going to keep hitting replay. (Yeah... but it works for me. And I don't do that all the time.) Anyway, this old busted computer that has seen better days, and it cut off on me. (I was in mid-worship stance and had to make a fast decision.) So I decided to leave the music alone. I continued on singing with my hands raised, and it just became really organic... just fresh. I love fresh. So I happened to look over at my Bible, and I reached for it and opened it to Psalms. As I was singing and throwing a few dance moves in there too (there's always room for dancing), I began to sing/speak aloud the praises of God from the Psalms. What was really awesome about the whole thing is that I had the same type of worship experience as when I'm singing with music. (I mean, I don't normally consider getting into the presence of God through the Psalms. But David did it. Why not me too?) It's just awesome how God responds when you lift up your heart to Him, in whatever fashion! I love it. And I like kicking it old school in worship through the reading/singing of the Psalms! What???? Lord, WHY are you so banging?

Y'all are gonna have me running around the neighborhood!!

Yo, get your praise and worship on today. Get into the Psalms. Sing. Dance. Lift up your hands (and leave them for a little bit, even if it hurts).

No comments:

Post a Comment