Hey guys,
All this free time that I have while I'm on the job search has really been blessing me. I've been able to spend more time in personal worship. I'm telling you it has been blessing my socks off! (If you recognize this expression, yes, I stole it.) In the past, I'd hit a serious roadblock in worship, and I would end up frustrated with myself during the very moments in which I should have been losing myself in the presence of God.
Not along ago, I was prompted to ask myself, "What is my motive for following Christ?" This led me to question myself, "What am I really seeking in my personal time in worship?" When I thought about it, memories of frustration came to mind. Why did I become so impatient and frustrated in worship? I came to the conclusion that I was seeking an exchange. I didn't just enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise in my heart. Basically, I wanted some elusive "feeling" of worship without the heart of worship. (What is that feeling anyway?) And I expected God to fulfill that if I just said the right thing, sang for long enough, maybe even cried a little. (Tears don't work on Jesus like they might work on people. Puppy dog eyes aren't the answer.)
When I began to examine my motives, I realized that my heart was out of order. There is one reason to worship God (in personal worship time and with your life): He deserves it. He delights in it. It makes Him smile. It is a way of me telling Him that I love Him. (Notice that the reason to worship God has nothing to do with me being happy, pleased, fulfilled, or anything like that!)
So God has given me the grace to really refocus and turn my personal worship time around. And it has been AMAZING. I have had wonderful revelation and affirmation about who I am. Most recently, the Lord spoke to me about my purpose. To know that I have been created for relationship with the God of the universe is so filling... so satisfying. I was MADE for relationship with Him. My life has an eternal, incorruptible purpose that no one can even touch. It blows my mind. Seriously, there is nothing and nobody who can take my purpose and, subsequently, my identity away from me. This understanding penetrates to my core. I love You, Jesus!
I was created to worship God, and so were you. (Go and spend some time in worship!)
No comments:
Post a Comment